The project regarding censorship was quite intriguing. It's quite relevant to ESM due to the recent attempt of censorship on the play " a chorus line". I believe that being aware of the harmful affects of censorship is important. Censoring is defined as an act or practice of suppressing the speech or public communication which is considered objectionable, harmful and sensitive, by a government, media outlet or other controlling bodies. The major issue with censorship is it suppresses freedom of speech and shelters people from knowing about important things.
I completely agree with you. We're supposed to have freedom of speech right? And when things are censored it completely takes that right away. That's like saying "yeah you can write whatever you want, but only if we like it". Who is a person to tell another what is harmful or not? Can the individual not decide for themselves what is harmful to them? If I thought something was hatful I certainly wouldn't read or view it, but I want to make that choice myself, I don't want someone to make it for me. Because of censorship we are unable to see many works that could be educational and enjoyable, but we dont get the option to even see it. Censorship is suppressing not only creativity, and freedom, but education. It has to be changed.
ReplyDelete