This is probably the only PBS series that I actually watch because it provides great insight on how society worked before the roaring twenties. Plus, theres no commercials. :D
tenebrism
Caravaggio, The Taking of Christ, 1602
Friday, January 30, 2015
Downton Abbey Rocks my Sox
I am perhaps the only person I know that watches PBS's Downton Abbey. The show's first episode took place the year the Titanic sunk in 1912. Now in its fifth season, the show is set in the roaring twenties where England experienced a difficult transition from the strict British caste system to a time of social recreation where women had a greater voice and the poor were becoming more politically active.
While all these changes are occurring, the head of the multi-million pound (£ ;)) estate, Robert Crawley is worried that he may lose everything he has married into. Most of the show however, does not follow the wealthy family but follows the servants that live in the lower levels of the house. The drastic difference between the rich and the poor of this early 20th century society is apparent as many of the common people of the town work from sunrise to sunset while the Crawley family host lavish parties for members of the royal family and others who have been rich for generations. In fact, Robert Crawley prides himself on the fact that his only job is to be rich to provide labor jobs for the peasants who live nearby. Fortunately, the 1920s bring much needed change to this backwards way of living as more and more "common people" start becoming rich off of things like oil and the stock market.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I am very interested by this blog, I was always interested in the 1920's and earlier years because people lived so much more differently then we do now.Times were hard during the early 1920's and I rrespect the hard workers that hung in there and made the best of the situations they were in either bad or good.
ReplyDeleteSince I am so interested in things like the ones in the blog above I would love to watch this show and see how good it is , the way it was portrayed in the blog makes it seem like it is a very good show that I and others would enjoy watching to see how life really was during those times
While I haven't ever seen an episode of the show, this blog might have persuaded me to check it out. I do find this era of history fascinating, because of how fast society changed in such a small amount of time, and the vast amount of challenges that the poor faced in just trying to survive and provide for their families. Without hardworking people like those depicted in the show, it would be hard to imagine society advancing this far.
ReplyDeleteI have read a few things about this show but none that ever persuaded me to put time into it, and watch it, and I feel like this blog did a good job of changing my mind, and influencing me to watch the show, and I might even check it out.