tenebrism

tenebrism
Caravaggio, The Taking of Christ, 1602

Monday, January 19, 2015

Pope meets with ex- street children

    Glyzelle Palomar was begging for food on the streets of northern Manila a few years ago. This week, the 12 years old got uo on stage in front of tens of thousands of people asking the Pope why god lets children suffer and starve.
"There are many children neglected by their own parents," Glyzelle said Sunday at a ceremony at a 400-year-old Catholic university in Manila. "There are also many who became victims and many terrible things happened to them like drugs or prostitution." "Why is God allowing such things to happen, even if it is not the fault of the children?" she asked the Pope, breaking down into tears as she spoke. 
   
  Millions of kids do not receive the kind of attention they need to grow and these kids are left in the dust, and Gyzelle questions that, hoping the Pope could give her some type of answer to make sense of all of this.
  Jun Furner, former street kid, told thousands of people including the Pope he would live off on a daily bases the food he would find in the trash. "I was feeding myself with what I can find in the garbage," said Jun, 14. "I did not know where to go, and I was sleeping on the sidewalk." This kid is 14 years old trying to deal with the circumstances he has to live with everyday.
  "When I was in the street, I witness also things I don't like, terrible things that happened to my companions in the street," Jun said. "I saw that they were taught how to steal, to kill also, and they have no respect anymore for the adults." Pope Francis responded to Glyzelle's question and Jun's testimony by giving the two children a big hug. The Pope than said to the crowd, "She is the only one who has put a question for which there is no answer and she wasn't even able to express it in words but in tears". Pope Francis hugging two former street children at a ceremony in Manila, Philippines, on Sunday.
blog post 8

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.