“How the Government Could Have Destroyed Yahoo”This article is about the interference of the government in the data that Yahoo receives. More specifically, the National Security Agency has an electronic surveillance program that Yahoo “must comply with”. It’s called PRISM. This was revealed in articles exposed by The New York Times which revealed that “the government threatened to fine Yahoo $250,000 per day if it refused to provide the data a secret body called the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court (FISC) ordered Yahoo to turn over to the NSA.” This obviously would have bankrupted Yahoo in a matter of weeks. In the article, it also states that this is not an unusual occurrence and the government often bullies companies into complying to their demands. Even before reading this article, my opinion about government interference in personal property is unless it is absolutely a dire situation, then it is unnecessary. There are very few situations in which I support the government accessing my private property. I understand that there are a few rare situations in which safety triumphs security, but again, they are rare. This article just enhances my beliefs and angers me due to the government believing they can do whatever they want to anyone just because they are The Government. I would like to know what the information was though, so I can formulate an accurate opinion.
I think it is crazy the U.S. government can just bully companies to comply with their demands. I agree with you that public safety is important but at what cost. Do we need to live complete non-private lives. Also under what right did the U.S. government able to fine a company that much money for not giving up information. I wonder what other companies have been bullied like Yahoo has.
ReplyDelete